Monday, July 14, 2014

my experience with dgplug summer training program so far!!

Well, some of you might be wondering what is dgplug summer training and even I was in the same state when I first noticed it. So let me first tell you what this is!! Dgplug  summer training program lets you get acquainted or ,in more refined terms, introduce you to the world of open source projects. It is Linux Users' Group of Durgapur, of which Kushal Das is the main coordinator.

So, here is how i stumbled upon this program. Actually I happened to be a little bit motivated that day and was eagerly searching on how to get started with open source projects on Quora and basically about how to contribute to GSoC. And there I found an article by Sayan and it was more than enough for me to get started in this program. Here you can refer to that answer.
http://www.quora.com/How-can-I-fully-utilize-2-months-of-summer-break-I-want-to-learn-coding-Should-I-start-with-HTML-CSS-or-go-with-Python-PHP-Django

And so how is my experience this far? Well it was sort of strange for me in the beginning because I had never heard of IRC before and hence I had no idea how to use it or even why to use it. But all that changed within a day or two, thanks to the way Kushal and others taught us those very basic things related to IRC. Also this program started on 29th of june and I read that article 2 days after that, but I didn't need to worry about that because the logs are always available there and you can easily go through them. So, while reading this article, if you are thinking whether you start or not, i would suggest you to come and start now only. There is so much to learn here and even if the program has ended, there is nothing to worry about it, as this dgplug program runs every summer for those like you and me :)

I have already been there for more than 10 days and I really learned a lot of new stuff. First of all, we were introduced to certain etiquette that we need to folow while being on IRC some of them being <eom> and !.  Then they taught me about vim and how to work on it. Vim is basically a text editor for basically a lot of purposes and one of them is writing out your code. Then I got to know about rst which earlier I had no idea of and yeah! I even created an about me page using rst.
There were also a few sessions dedicated to the sharing of experience by Sayan and Chandan Kumar on how they started in this open source culture and it was inspirational. There was a session on blogging too, the same thing I am doing now. They also told us about command line and encouraged us to read a book regarding that. It was fun learning that! I am also excited to learn about git, which I have only heard of till now. And I am more excited that after a few months I am going to be able to contribute in the same open source environment.

I think this one would surely help me understand how to contribute to open source and also get me started for the same. I am also sharing one video of Kushal Das at PyCon 2014 for it also encouraged me to get started with this program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5YV5KzIbOc 

No comments:

Post a Comment